Thursday, September 15, 2005

MOW Equipment






For those who don't know MOW stands for Maintainance Of Way. All railroads have a variety of equipment or section cars to do work along the track. I have now built up my version for working on the 1/8th scale track. I built the chair on wheels about a 6 months ago. This is a copy of one a friend of mine built for his own railroad. This worked out well and I recently added the holders for the parts trays on each side. This was better but it always seemed that I needed a tool or a part that I did not have with me on the chair. I have the bucket boss which has all of my other track tools and when I was working on a track, like the trip to Sherman, it never failed that I had to go back to where the bucket was to get some tool. Well this inspired me Instead of figuring out what to mount on the chair I built another rolling frame and instead of another chair I put a Lazy Susan and a frame to hold the bucket of track tools. The Gandy Chair and the Track bucket are coupled together with a rod. Now if I need something out of the bucket I can spin around and spin the bucket to the pocket I need. No more up and down or hiking back to where the bucket got left.
Now I have my own MOW section cars.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gerry said...

Its really nice when you have moved along and laid 1000’ feet of track and then discover that the drill bit you need or the battery in the drill is dead or you need the 5lb lump hammer for alignment. It got irritating to go all that length and have to hike back to the tool bucket.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home